• Establishment Name:
St. Peter’s Tin Tabernacle  
Phone: 087 895 7680
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: www.facebook.com/laraghheritagemonaghan
Address: Laragh Village
Town: Laragh, Co. Monaghan
Description:

St. Peters Church Of Ireland (1891) is a church made from corrugated iron sheets. It is said that it was brought back to Laragh by the mill owner and his wife from their honeymoon in Switzerland where she saw and fell in love with it. Designed in a Swiss-gothic hybrid style, the church is constructed entirely out of corrugated iron and sites in a small narrow wooded valley alongside the river. The landscaping around the church is designed to imitate and suggest a small mountain glade with rocky outcrops around the church.The village was a milling village and its story in the 18th & 19th century deserves a place in the industrial history of Co. Monaghan. The population of Laragh village and surrounding areas increased during the famine but crumbled and collapsed when the mills closed.

The village industry, incorporating three beautiful stone-cut mills ; Cherry Vale, Laragh Mills & Helen Vale dating from 1775 – 1925

Cherry Vale (1775) was a spinning-mill with workmen’s houses (shuttle row)

Laragh Village Mill (1860’s) had spinning-mills and workmen’s houses (Laragh row)

Helen Vale had 3 beetling mills and a corn mill.

In 1826 a mill school was founded for the mill worker’s children. In 1903, a new national school ‘Laragh School’ was built on the same site.
The church is open to the public on Sundays and Bank holidays from June to October from 12 – 6pm otherwise viewing is by appointment. There is a lovely Mill Race walk which loops back to the Church, there are picnic tables around the church plus a fairy garden in the wooded area across the road.