The Dawson monument is on the Cootehill/Monaghan Road. The monument is a Roman Tuscan column, 60 feet in height, designed by the renowned architect, James Wyatt and erected in memory of Richard Dawson, MP, who died in 1807 at the relatively young age of 44. Dawson is described as a reformist who supported Henry Grattan and opposed the Act of Union. The monument with its sculpted image of a flame on top is understood to reflect the age of Enlightenment. It was erected by freehold constituents and is one of three important architectural structures erected on the estate.