*CURRENTLY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - ONLINE SHOP AVAILABLE AT ulstercanalstoresvisitorcentre.ie/shop*
The beautifully restored Ulster Canal Stores is a traditional cut stone building located on the edge of Clones town, on the N54 Cavan Road, with excellent road links with Northern Ireland. Clones lace-making was first introduced in the 1850’s and at one stage there were 1,500 lace-makers in the area. By 1910 Clones had become the most important centre of crochet lace-making in Ireland, and most families had their own motifs, inspired by the things around them, such as shamrock, fern, thistle, harp and flowers. A permanent exhibition of handmade antique Clones Crochet lace is on display in the dedicated Clones Lace Museum, with presentation on the history of Clones Lace available by prior booking for groups. Each June, the Canal Stores hosts the International Clones Lace Summer School.
Guided tours of the historical town of Clones are also available locally and can be organised through the Canal Stores. The tours take in the Round Tower, Celtic Cross, ‘Wee Abbey’, and other buildings of architectural and historical interest.
The on-site Bistro restaurant serves traditional Irish breakfasts, snacks and dinners, all home-made. Catering for parties and special events is also available.
It is an ideal venue for small seminars and meeting/workshop facilities are available for up to 50 people.
Coffee shop and Tourist Information.
A public park with slide, swings and a ball alley are adjacent to the Canal Stores.
Tuesday - Saturday 9.00am - 5.30pm
Any other times by arrangement.
Cara Street, Clones, Co. Monaghan